The meeting’s over. You’ve got a little time to explore. It’s your chance to get out of that hotel room, get off the beaten path, and experience the culture, the flavor, and the people.
We’ve pulled together some of our favorite activities and places in Dubai, the ones most travelers don’t have a chance to experience. Next time you’re in town with a few free hours, check out our list and go home with your best stories ever.
- With everything from frankincense to shisha on display, Dubai’s open-air spice souk is a small, fragrant wonderland. Ride a traditional abra across the creek to get there.
- Got a little more time? Go sandboarding just outside the city on rolling red dunes.
- See Dubai’s amazing skyline from a whole new perspective — take a hot-air balloon ride above the red desert.
- Share a table with the locals at Ravi, and enjoy kebabs, curry, and freshly-baked naan washed down with a yogurt drink. Cash only.
- Take a stroll through the old Bastakiya Quarter on the waterfront. You’ll see traditional, naturally air-conditioned wind-tower architecture along its labyrinth of lanes.
Photo attribution: daarkfire